Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Hello!

Wow, I don't even know where to start. I am not a blogger by any means. But since I'm here in Segovia, Spain (I still can't believe it!) I wanted to be able to share with you all (theoretically you are someone I know) my adventures and experiences. I, however, don't want to spam your inbox with emails you won't read. So, I thought a blog is something you could voluntarily go to if you were curious about my Segovian adventures.

I arrived here in Spain on September 10 to participate in a study abroad program with AHA International. I flew into the Madrid airport and from there took a shuttle with 7 of the other students to Segovia, where we were picked up from the bus station by our host moms. I cannot describe the amount of nervousness we all experienced during those long moments of waiting. When we entered the bus station, we saw a group of moms standing waiting for us, but none of us knew which mom was ours. My heart was beating so fast as I waited to be claimed; part of me was afraid that I wouldn't have a mom. If you were ever that kid in gym class who got picked last (I definitely was), you know that feeling of intense anticipation and fear of not being chosen.

I finally was introduced my host mom, who is absolutely amazing. She took me home where I met my host dad and my host brothers and sister. I learned a few things about Spanish culture, like, it is extremely rude to walk around the house in bare feet or socks. Of course, the first thing I did when I got to my room was take of my shoes (in Alaska, I'm used to letting my feet breath). Needless to say, I know own a pair of blue floral slippers. The first couple days in Segovia passed extremely slowly; I kept thinking about Alaska and wishing I could go home. I wanted more than anything to go to Kaladis, or Moose's Tooth. However, as time goes on, I become more and more accustomed to being here.






El acueducto

Segovia, as a city, is beautiful. The biggest monument here is the aqueduct, built by the Romans in the 1st century. It's amazing to think that something that old and with that much history is still standing, and that, what's more, that I get to walk past it every day. There are many, many churches all steeped in history, and the streets themselves are so picturesque, the way one imagines Europe to be when one has never been.


Classes started that Monday, and at first it was amazingly overwhelming! But things are getting better and I hope that I am improving.

Castle of Coca
This past Friday, we took our first of several excursions. We visited two castles; one in Coca and one in Cuellar. It was pretty impressive to see the castles. The most awe inspiring part was in Coca, where we got to see the dungeon. It was a small round room with high sloping walls topped with a dome. At the very top there was a grate, through which prisoners were dropped into the dungeon. Although we were able to get in through a door, it was only constructed recently, and there were no exits when it was used. I can't imagine being trapped inside, in the dark, with bare walls surrounding me, and other prisoners suffering beside me.

We also visited a bodega (winery) called Malaparte and we tried two types of wine: vino tinto (red) and vino rosado (pink). Both were delectable!

That basically sums up everything I've experienced since I've arrived (except the food, which is fantastic, and I will have to address that at another time). I don't know if I'm boring you, or if this has been at all interesting or satisfying, but if you want to hear about specific aspects of my adventure, please let me know!

As they say in Spain,

'Ta Luego!

3 comments:

  1. I'm jeaaaalousss!! But I am very happy for you! Sounds like you are really enjoying yourself. How is the food?? -Holly :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sending me a link! I'm excited to read about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the whole bare feet/socks faux pas is a European thing. I remember my sister having a similar experience in Budapest with her host family.

    Anyway, it sounds like you are having an amazing time, and I look forward to hearing about all your adventures this semester!

    ReplyDelete